iBlogCharleston.com: February 2009

Confused over County or City Services

            I am often asked:  "Do I live in Charleston City or Charleston County?"

                                      "Who do I contact, the city or the county?

                                      "What's the difference ?"

                                      "If I live in the city, why do I have county services ?"  

          Basically, Charleston City and Charleston County are two branches of government, each performing different services for the citizens.

           While the city provides specific services to its residences, the county provides specific services to ALL Charleston county residences, in the city or outside the city.

           The CITY provides:  Law enforcement




                                        Public parks

                                        Trash pick-up

                                        Municipal courts


          The COUNTY provides:  Public libraries

                                            Public parks

                                            Boat landings & beach parks,

                                            Mosquito control

                                            Landfill & incinerator

                                            Recycle pick-up

                                            Voter registration & elections

                                            Court systems:  The Courthouse,

                                                                   Family Court

                                                                  Circuit Court

                                                                  Criminal Court 

                                            Public safety:  EMS

                                                                 Emergency operations center 

                                                                 Jail and Juvenile Detention center

                                                                 School crossing guards

                                                                 Drug and alcohol treatment to residences via Charleston 


          If you aren't sure who to contact, call either entity.  They will assist or direct you in finding the appropriate resource.



Joye Ridgeway in Charleston, SC www.CallJoye.com                iBlogCharleston.com                        QR code - CallJoye.com

              Achieving success by helping others attain their  goals in  acquiring real estate:  homes, land, investment, commercial.  Serving West Ashley, James Island, Johns Island, Hollywood, N. Charleston, Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, Goose Creek. 


                                       ActiveRain Profile Link     Facebook Link   Linked In  Twitter Link      Let me google that for you

All Rights Reserved.  Photography is property of Joye Ridgeway.  This content may not be reproduced or re-printed without express written permission from Joye H. Ridgeway, AgentOwned Realty, Charleston, SC.  Permission is usually granted with a link back to site.

Comment balloon 1 commentJoye Hollis Ridgeway • February 18 2009 02:37PM
Confused over County or City Services
I am often asked: "Do I live in Charleston City or Charleston County? " "Who do I contact, the city or the county? "What's the… more